Oh, "clinic"...

So, we have finally arrived in Cambodia, it was quite a mammouth trip yesterday, we left at 7am and got to our destination around 9pm, crazy. I enjoyed the trip though, got to see lots of rural Cambodia from the bus, and it is again, so completely different to anywhere I have been.

The first bus driver was flipping mental, and even I can say that...I don't know how fast we were going, but it was fast, and every few minutes I would fly out of my seat, didn't quite get the nap I had planned, but enjoyed the adventure none the less. We then met up with some dodgy guy who sorted out our visas, we didn't really want him to, but didn't have much choice, he charged us more than we knew it cost (only about $5...but it's the principle!) but we got it all sorted in the end. Crossing the border also took a while, but it was crazy seeing the difference as you crossed the border by land (I have never done that before, except in Europe, but that's different), suddenly there were people pulling a massive wooden cart, the kind that you would imagine for a horse and cart type affair, and kids running around us...

Got to go on my first Tuk Tuk (3 wheel thing - the ones in Cambodia are basically a motorbike which tows a truck thing that passengers sit in) which was pretty exciting, they had them in Bangkok and I really wanted to go in one then.

Today we hired the Tuk Tuk for the day and then the driver drove us around all the temples that Siem Reap is famous for...picking us up at 5am so we could catch sunrise at Angkor Wat, we all coped pretty well with the early morning considering. Still awake now. The temples were good, I did lose a little interest after a while, my favourite however was one that has loads of trees growing out of it, apparently they filmed 'Tomb Raider' there.

So also, I think my little swim in the sea the other day may have resulted in an ear infection, I've never had one before, and it flipping kills! Just had an interesting little experience at the pharmacist...firstly she was asleep behind the counter when I arrived, so I had to wake her up, and then she didn't speak any English, so it was a little confusing. She was telling me to "clean it'' - I tried to tell her that the inside of my ear was yellow because of the ointment I had already tried, and then she was pointing...after a while I realised she was telling me to go to the ''clinic'' (doctors), which I then did and spoke with a friendly chinese, french speaking doctor who has given me some alternative ear drops. Oh yeah, and apparently a green man means nothing in Cambodia, had to dodge in and out of the motos, tuk tuks and cars to cross the road.

When we were at the temples earlier, all these kids were coming up to us trying to sell us stuff. I think their parents send them as they are cuter and they were staring at us begging us to buy stuff. One girl was really persistent in trying to sell us some bracelets when we were sat down, after about 15 mins I bought one...and then she shouted to her friends that I had caved, and suddenly we were swarmed by kids! I think I have realised that it is so little money to us and they are desperate for it, I think the bracelet was about 20p. Maybe I will buy something else next time, will take a bit of getting used to, it is a very different place.

Tonight we are off to a restaurant which gives some of its profits to help street kids, thought we'd get involved in a bit of local charity helping...

Read Users' Comments (1)comments

1 Response to "Oh, "clinic"..."

  1. Traveller'sfriend, on 6 March 2010 at 19:39 said:

    Brilliant.

    Nice working helping the kids H. you are a saint.

    I have heard Cambodia is stunning, you are an adventurer, take care Swan. Cover up. Rob and I go to Dubai in a couple of days! x x x x

Post a Comment