Soaking up the new year - 2553...

Thailand is ahead of the western world.  Tuesday marked Thai new year, the year 2553...they run their years from the death of Buddha, which makes them apparently 543 years ahead of us in the UK.

As I mentioned before, Thai new year is celebrated as a water festival.  I had had it explained to me what this entailed, but I guess I didn't really believe it until I saw it, and it's utter mayhem.  It started Monday.  Even though officially, 13th April, is Thai new year, they seem to celebrate it all week and everyone gets a 3 day holiday, 'Songkran'.  The streets are filled with people selling supersoakers and massive water pistols, and buckets.  As you walk down the street people squirt you and soak you shouting 'Songkran', 'Happy New Year!'.  I got absolutely soaked!  Not only is most of the water out of the brown moat, but they kindly put lumps of ice in it, just to make sure it really cools you down...  I decided to try and get in to it, seems to be the only way.  The people here, both locals and tourists, take no prisoners, if you are outside, you have asked to get wet.  My purchase of a waterproof bag has come in handy this week.  Unfortunately I was unable to get any decent photos as my camera is not waterproof!


Anyway, I have just left Chiang Mai, where I was since Sunday night.  Whilst I was there I went on a tour to go to an elephant camp and to visit some hilltribe people.  I have never ridden an elephant before, I am not sure I would again.  It was fun, but not the most comfortable experience of my life, spent the majority of the hour I was on the elephant clinging on to the piece of hosepipe between me and the open air very tightly!  The elephants also did a bit of a show, which included doing some painting, it was surprisingly impressive, and slightly disturbing...


This is the elephant lifting me up by his trunk, before I had the ride...yeah, it was kind of scary


We also went to visit some hilltribe people, the Karen people, who live on the borders, and believe that they are ancestors from swans and dragons, so want to model themselves on them, so they put rings on their necks to lengthen them, like a swan or a dragon.  


On Wednesday I had my first Thai massage.  I've never had  a massage, so thought why not, it seems to be a big deal in these parts.  I wasn't exactly prepared for the pummeling I got, but I actually like it and felt proper relaxed and chilled out after.  I went to the women's prison in Chiang Mai where they teach the girls who are near to their release to do Thai massage (they also have a cafe), so they have skills to get jobs when they leave and also to bridge the gap between the community and the prison.

Chiang Mai is amazing, I love it, the culture and the markets and the food...I might have to visit again when it's not Songkran though, so I can see it without having to run for cover around every corner (and when more stuff is open, lots of stuff shut for the holidays).

Today I have arrived in Koh Phi Phi, an island in the south of Thailand.  It's amazing.  Carrying my backpack however, isn't.  I absolutely hate that thing, but luckily I don't have to carry it too often!  I booked the place I am staying on the internet the other day, but didn't realise how far away it was from the pier (the island has no roads, so there are no taxis, you get everywhere by foot), it seemed like forever to get to my guesthouse, but now I have arrived and got rid of the backpack, the pain has been forgotten.  It's easy with views like this...



Read Users' Comments (3)

3 Response to "Soaking up the new year - 2553..."

  1. Poramin T. (Aon), on 16 April 2010 at 10:15 said:

    you had a great experience in Thailand.

  2. Traveller'sfriend, on 18 April 2010 at 09:01 said:

    Hello, sounding good. I was there tow years ago today, as ther water new year festivals were also on. when i was there they had a white shaving foam like substance too and they'd cover you in it with water too. Seeing Alex today, we'r both gonna be at church in leeds, she is a bit under the weather. boo. love yo x

  3. James Sutton, on 19 April 2010 at 01:57 said:

    So flippin jealous! Elephant rides, tropical islands!

    In comparison its 2am and rose just projectile vomited all over my face and chest, nice!

Post a Comment