More Englishy than England...?

So, here I am in the land of the kiwis. I started off with a few days in Christchurch, which badges itself as 'More Englishy than England'...not entirely sure how that is possible, but I guess I can see their point. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it wasn't infact as cold as I had expected it to be...don't get me wrong, still hat, scarf and gloves weather, but the layers I had on were sufficient for the temperature.

This is Hagley Park, which is apparently the 3rd largest central park in the world, behind Central Park in New York and one in Canada. This was just opposite where my hostel was in Christchurch.

Whilst in Christchurch, I booked myself into Christchurch Jail. It was an active (if that's the right word?) jail until 1999, and a few years ago was opened up as a youth hostel. They actually haven't changed it that much, I've been in a few jails in my time (as a visitor, before I get any smart remarks) and it looked pretty similar. It was pretty cold at night, but they lent out hot water bottles, so I felt right at home!


After Christchurch I headed south to Lake Tekapo. This little town (if you can call it that, with the population of 300 people) is in the middle of nowhere, but it has a nice big lake which people come and visit. I was drawn here by the fact that the hostel described itself as having a log fire in the living room and no bunk beds, it was pretty good. This is a view I got on my journey from Christchurch to Lake Tekapo as I got in to the mountain region...


And this is Lake Tekapo


And the famous sheep dog statue, they love the sheep dogs here, the bus driver said as he dropped me off that we wouldn't have this landscape if it wasn't for the humble sheep dog...

The next few pictures are just a bit of the amazing scenery I have seen so far being in this region...


Whilst at Lake Tekapo in the hostel, I was planning my next move south, to Wanaka, when the guy on the computer next to me said he was heading that way and would give me a lift, bonus, but he was a wine maker and was doing a wine tour on the way to Wanaka the next day, so it meant I had to join him on that, result. So, I got to visit a load of wineries and learn to distinguish 'the oaky flavours'.

This is a large fruit statue at the town of Cromwell where the wineries were.


Even got a tour at one of the wineries to see how they make the sparkling wine, this was where it started...and below are the vineyards...


I then arrived in Wanaka, just north of Queenstown. Everyone here is into skiing and snow boarding as the season is just about to start.

This is me at Puzzling World in Wanaka, where they have a giant maze that I got lost in, and this is the 'Leaning Tower of Wanaka' I am modelling.


There is a giant lake in Wanaka too, surprisingly called 'Lake Wanaka'. I walked around one side of it and got some amazing views of the mountains where the skiing etc will be happening in a couple of weeks time.


So, Wanaka was fun, but I am now in Queenstown, the home of the bungy jump. Arrived last night and it looks pretty cool here too.



Read Users' Comments (2)

2 Response to "More Englishy than England...?"

  1. Hilary, on 20 June 2010 at 12:12 said:

    So excited to get another blog update! U r incredibly lucky with all the lifts you are getting. The photos are beautiful, scenery is amazing! Hope you enjoy the car freedom for the next couple of weeks x

  2. Anonymous, on 13 July 2010 at 00:53 said:

    These pics are so good. Glad you are enjoyimng yourself. Hope to see you soon and hear all about it.

    Ed and Sharon

Post a Comment